Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Mommy!

Ari says:
There are few people in this world who can truly change your life for the better. I am fortunate enough to have many of those people around me, however, I'm about to gush for a minute and if you're not in the mood, feel free to come back at a later date. My wonderful mother is one of those people who would give the world for those she loves. I have been lucky to be one of those people and have been the recipient of years of love, generosity, knowledge, and most of all, the ability to be the woman I've become. As children we are constantly looking for the best person to emulate and strive to become, and I didn't have far to look. There aren't always words to describe those you truly love, so suffice it to say that my Mom is one of my best friends and I am blessed that she raised me. Anyway (enough sap), the 4th of July is a magnificent day. Not only is it our national Independence Day (Will Smith or no), but it is also the birthday of one of the most important people in my life: my aforementioned maternal unit. I was lucky enough to work out an agreement with Bill to surprise Mom for this special occasion. Amazingly enough, I didn't ruin the surprise and was able to get on a plane Thursday night and get into their condo in Denver without being suspected. When Mom and Bill returned from dinner, I was happily sitting on the couch, entrenched in a movie and a glass of wine. Mom was rather angered to find the lights and tv on; wondering furiously "Who is in our HOUSE?" Finally she found me grinning on the couch. Keep in mind that I have waited for this moment for over a month, and have envisioned our reunion a hundred times with smiles, hugs, kisses and many laughs. On top of all that, Mom has being throwing a bit of a hissy that I wasn't coming out to see her, especially since I didn't have anything else going on. My Mom's response to my arrival? "You're kidding me!" And then she proceeded to walk into the other room. Ok, great. Either I've pissed her off or she needs to use the restroom (either way, it's toilet humor). Long story short, Mom was incredibly surprised and we proceeded to stay up entirely too late catching up and just enjoying each other's company. So far the weekend has been wonderful, but this time is too sacred to spend on the computer. I'll do a recap when I get back on Tuesday. Happy Birthday Mommy!!
PS-This particular title comes from when I was little. I was taught to sing at a very early age, and was very obliging in anything that was requested of me. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and "I'm a Little Teapot" abounded. However, when left to my own devices, my favorite song to sing was "Happy Birthday" to my Mom. It was always completed with an obligatory blowing out of the candles, whether or not they were present. Either way, I think it's still my favorite song.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Your mom is the best. Send her my love as well. *side note* As a mother, I have to say that the best song to hear is Happy Birthday MOMMY! I hear it weekly from my Lily and adore it every time.

Katie said...

Happy Birthday to Momma B! She is wonderful and I along with the whole country celebrated her birth on Friday! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday momma!!
~Ang

Bart and/or Ari said...

They had fireworks and everything for her!

I love your Mom for for allowing me to share the woman of my dreams with her.

Your,
FBj