Monday, September 22, 2008

It's Time For a Change

Ari says:
Hear ye! Hear ye! Come one and come all!! Experience one of the world's forgotten treasures! That's right, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm talking about that most forgotten of pastimes. The ever extraordinary, the ultimately elusive, the amazingly escaping: personal time.
When was the last time you took a moment for yourself? In my last couple weeks of unemployment and pseudo-solitude, I have found that there was one person that I had readily forgotten. In all my phone calls, birthday cards and emails, I had been left behind. And do you know what I've found? In fear of sounding a bit conceited, I'm a fairly cool person to hang out with. I have allowed myself (and sometimes forced) not to pick up a phone or send an email. I truly have taken the time to remember who I am. In spite of all my faults (and trust me, there are plenty), I have realized that I am fairly witty, humorous, and enjoyable to be around. In fact, I'm not all that bad. I say this only because in recent conversations, I have noticed that my friends and family are not taking the same note of themselves. Now (bragging moment ensuing), I pride myself on those with whom I associate. I have some of the most amazing people in my life, which you already know. They are my lifeblood, my center, and I owe everything to them. Why, then, would they not take care of themselves? This is my question to each and every one of you. When you know you are truly and deeply loved, why wouldn't you take the opportunity to improve upon "you" simply for yourself? You know that there are those who love and support you. Why, on God's Green Earth, wouldn't you take a moment now and then (once a day or week) for yourself? To remember what is important to you, or the things which make you most happy? I only say this because I, in fact, was gone for a long time. I allowed myself to be swept up in something that wasn't nearly as important as I thought it was. Now I am able to see that I am not nearly as effective a wife, daughter or friend as I am than when I truly appreciate and love myself. True to form, though, my loving friends and family were there for me and allowed me to do what I needed to do. Yes, I have a bit of time on my hands, however, I am realizing that time is a precious commodity and must not be wasted on the frivolous. We must remind ourselves what we are working towards and whether or not it furthers our personal agenda (which isn't a bad thing). Do we spend enough time with those that matter or are we focused on getting an extra hour in at work? Do we get in 10 minutes extra at the gym or can we spend a few minutes on the phone with a loved one? What are your priorities? Do you want to change them? I challenge each and every one of you to take a moment for yourself. To find something that makes you happy, for however short an amount of time, if only to enjoy yourself and to find you in the process.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome blog Ari bear!! I am glad you have been spending some quaility time with yourself. And I can only picture it... You say something... then laugh at it... then respond to yourself... then laugh because you responded to yourself...

C said...

A moment to myself? HA! Try putting a two year old to bed and laying your weary head down, only to be body slammed in the ribs by a very aggressive fetus - repeatedly - before the two year old (who you thought had fallen asleep) starts chanting, "I don't want to wear a diaper. I don't want to wear a diaper." And as you think that maybe, just maybe, if you ignore the toddler and the fetus then maybe things will calm down, the husband yells upstairs, "Why are you ignoring her?!"
Sorry. Had to vent. I loved the post and am looking very, very forward to that moment when I can spend some quality time with myself. If I'm half as witty, spunky, cool, and entertaining as you, it will be a very good time!

Anonymous said...

It was an awesome blog! You are all those things and more!! I love the beautiful woman that I call one of my best friends!!

~Ang