Friday, May 30, 2008

An Apple a Day


Ari says:
Bart didn't want me to blog about this incident, but since he's not here and since he's not an active participant right now, I'm gonna tell it anyway. So there. In true keeping with all things office related, our department loves to celebrate birthdays. It's really just an excuse to eat a lot of junk that you normally wouldn't and get away from your desk for 30 minutes. Yesterday I volunteered to bring in a fruit tray of some sort for our shindig that was taking place today. After quite a long trip to Hallmark last night (no real reason, I just couldn't make up my mind), I headed over to Kroger ("the grocery," Bradley) to pick up said tray. Side note: did you know that fruit trays are a ga-billion dollars now? OMG! Anyway, while filtering through the massively expensive arrays of fruit, I found a smaller tray with sliced apples and a ramekin of caramel. Perfect! Upon further inspection, though, I realized that the caramel in this particular tray had been replaced by "Ranch Veggie Dip." I had a good laugh at this one and in true Ariana-fashion, turned around to share my joy in this mishap with someone else. I found only a small Asian woman who looked like she wanted to shake a chicken at me or something. Oh well. I then put the tray I found and a correct one in my cart thinking: "I would be upset if I got this home and didn't notice it, so I'll give it to someone on staff who can either fix or remove the offending tray." I got the rest of my meager shopping done and found an "employee" standing at a small podium which I assumed meant he was there to be helpful. To be honest, I knew this exchange was going to be bad before we had even exchanged words (I have a keen sense about these things). This worker (würker) was leaning against his podium, staring longingly between a magazine with Paris Hilton on the cover and a Hershey's bar (tough choice). Anyway, I walked up and, as politely as I could, handed him the tray and said that if possible, the store should change the dip in the container. His response: "So, what's your question?" (Yeah, this was not going to go well) I pointed to the ranch and said that, although it is a lovely condiment, it probably isn't the best accompaniment to apples. I added that it probably wouldn't be a big seller for the store and knowing that this was going nowhere fast, I chose to walk away and let it go. I could have sworn I heard him mumble a not-so-nice name behind my back, but I am choosing to believe that there was a female dog walking past at that moment. Whatever. I was more disappointed that I didn't get to share my funny find with anyone at the time (and impressed that he knew a word with so many letters).

4 comments:

Katie said...

LMAO!!! Oh my gosh! Who does this happen too?? Great fun and were the Kroger employee smarter, he would have found the great humor in it. But as it stands, he was probably the one that put the ranch in with the apples...

Anonymous said...

HOLY FREGGIN' COW!! I hate that you had no one to share your findings with, but much to the disapproval of your hubby~ I'm glad you decided to share here. The only reason I can find that you couldn't find anyone to "share" your find with is this: How did you meet Bart? CORRECT! A chance happening and your unstoppable need to share such frustration/humor/irony in a situation. So perhaps, this is why, less complication with new people and far more amusement with the ones who love you.

Amanda Bradley said...

was this at the cool springs kroger??!! i bought that tray... I thought the caramel tasted bad.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kroger isn't exactly a mecca of intelligent wurrker bees, my lady friend.